Friday 2 June 2017

Book Review: Borne by Jeff VanderMeer

Borne


Name: Borne
Author:Jeff VanderMeer
From: lovereading review panel, free for review, hardback copy

I have previously read two other books by JeffVanderMeer (book one and book two of the Southern Reach trilogy) and loved them. He is an author who is completely unique, the characters/creatures and the ideas/worlds within in his novels are so imaginative, it's enough to make an aspiring writer filled with awe.

I was a bit dubious when I read the blurb online which references a flying bear, but thankfully I ignored my doubts-I should do this more often- I know that I can trust Jeff VanderMeer to write an enthralling novel to excite my curiosity, even if you do feel like the proverbial cat. Jeff VanderMeer always has a darkness in his novels, there's always something that shocks you and amazes you.

Borne is an engrossing eye-popping story,  a novel of a dark world and of the touching relationship between Rachel and the creature Borne who she discovers. You have to wonder at the ideas and imagination of Jeff VanderMeer- from huge, flying bears to worms that diagnose your illnesses. Genius.

I can only say I would recommend this book and I found it hard to put down. How can you contain it's spectacularly weird world into a few normal words to explain it to someone? I will definitely be reading more by Jeff VanderMeer, and if you love weird, unusual books, sci-fi ot fantasy you'll love this. And if you don't step outside your comfort zone and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moved to Wordpress

Hi! I'm moving this blog to Wordpress, my new blog can be found here: https://bookwormjenblog.wordpress.com Most blogs I follow on o...