Wednesday 29 March 2017

Challenge! Reading out of my comfort zone. Review of Little Beach Street Bakery

I think that everyone should read out of their comfort zone. Sometimes it helps to read something different when you are stuck in that dreaded reading slump. I'm not in a slump but:

 I have set myself a little challenge to get out of my comfort zone and expand my horizons. I've decided to read a romantic/chic-lit book to start with.
Next I will be reading some crime novels.

So here's the first book:

Name of Book: Little Beach Street Bakery
Author: Jenny Colgan
Type/genre:  Romantic, paperback, library book
Why I chose it: I was looking for books to read set on an island and this was recommended to me on http://readitswapit.freeforums.net/ (thanks). It appealed to me because of the idea of moving somewhere new and starting afresh. Especially moving to the coast, what a lovely idea.

Review:

Who hasn't wanted to run away from their hectic job or their unfulfilling life when they've hit a rough patch? Polly relationship is ending after the business her and her boyfriend were running fails and are bankrupt. Who hasn't wanted to start over somewhere new by the sea? Polly didn't plan on moving to the Cornish tidal island Polbearne but she desperately wanted to start over and find a place of her own that she could afford, then she sees the advert for a place to rent in Polbearne. And that's how the story begins...

'Little Beach Street Bakery' is a sweet story and an effortless read. A story to uplift you or a lovely escape. Reading this was like going on a holiday, it's a charming story and you feel like you're actually there. It draws you in until the very last page, leaving you wanting more.

I didn't expect to like this book but I quickly became engrossed in the story and couldn't stop reading. I fell in love with the characters, instantly feeling sympathy for Polly. I forgot about the genre reading this book, who cares what genre it is if the story is good and the characters so lifelike?  

There were some characters I couldn't relate to: the rich ones with their expensive cars and the life that Polly's friend lived. This story didn't always feel very realistic to me, some parts stood out that were very real and hit me to the core, (this book is realistic and does have it's serious moments) but at times I felt that the story was a little cheesy. Maybe because I'm not used to reading books like this. But: it's no more cheesy than those British romantic films that we all love. And what's wrong with a book having a lighter side and lifting you up!

 The end was very satisfying, you feel like you've gone on a journey with Polly. You feel that so much has happened and you  sailed through the book completely riveted. All the loose ends are tied up realistically. There's just so much to this book than simply 'chic-lit' as people call it. It was charming and: I'm going to miss Polly and Neil! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Moved to Wordpress

Hi! I'm moving this blog to Wordpress, my new blog can be found here: https://bookwormjenblog.wordpress.com Most blogs I follow on o...